Moving to a new environment, especially a new school can be dif cult for any child. The Primary 1 Prep Group aims to work on social-emotional skills as well as applying academic knowledge at each individual child’s level.
Lessons will be built around phonics, literacy, and numeracy, and will also target eye-hand coordination along with key social and communication skills. The class curriculum follows the Early Years Foundation Stage Guidance 2012, Letters and Sounds 2007, and Jolly Phonics.
The group focuses on a range of prerequisites for primary school including:
- Pre-writing and writing
- Fine motor skills
- Turn-taking and sharing
- Following directions
- Collaboration and problem-solving
- Confidence and resilience
- Self-initiative and responsibility
- Independence in the classroom
- Developing appropriate classroom behaviours.