Moving to a new environment, especially a new school can be difficult for any child. The School Readiness Group aims to work on social-emotional skills as well as applying academic knowledge at each individual child’s level.
Lessons will be built around phonics, literacy, and numeracy, and will also target eye-hand coordination along with key social and communication skills. The class curriculum follows the Early Years Foundation Stage Guidance 2012, Letters and Sounds 2007, Jolly Phonics, and PATHS® programme (Promoting Alternative Thinking Strategies).
The group focuses on a range of prerequisites for primary school including:
- Pre-writing and writing
- Fine motor skills
- Emotional awareness, identification, expression, and regulation
- Turn-taking and sharing
- Following directions
- Self-control, collaboration and problem-solving
- Confidence, self-esteem and resilience
- Self-initiative and responsibility
- Independence in the classroom