A psycho-educational assessment is an evaluation conducted by a psychologist to determine whether a child or teenager has developmental and/or learning challenges. This assessment provides an in-depth exploration of a child’s strengths and weaknesses compared with their peers, allowing parents to gauge their child’s development.
Our psychologists utilise a variety of psychometric assessments in English or Chinese. The tools used in each assessment are customised to the needs of your child. We can cater to requests for specific tests with prior notice.
- A psycho-educational assessment is recommended:
- when you are concerned about your child’s cognitive, language, communication and/or social-emotional development.
- when you want to find out if your child has a developmental or learning disorder.
- when it is requested as part of a school application process.
- when your child has commenced school and there are concerns about their learning, academic progress and/or attention.
- during your child’s schooling to monitor a known learning disability or to gain further understanding on the difficulties encountered at school.
- You will be given a child history form to be completed prior to the assessment day.
- The assessment is conducted by a psychologist.
- The assessment typically assesses:
- cognitive abilities(ability to acquire knowledge and understanding).
- adaptive behaviour (ability to perform daily activities required for personal and social sufficiency).
- general emotional and behavioural development.
- academic achievement (if appropriate).
- social and communication development (if appropriate).
- You will receive preliminary results verbally on the day of the assessment.
- You will receive a full report approximately two weeks after the assessment.
- After receiving the report, you can schedule a parent meeting for a more detailed discussion of the assessment results.