What is the D.I.R. Floortime® Model?
The D.I.R. Floortime Model is an evidence-based relationship-based developmental approach. It focuses on promoting development through meaningful interactions and emotional experiences. By supporting the child’s sensory processing profile, following their intention and attuning to their individual differences, children learn to regulate, engage, relate, communicate, problem-solve and use ideas.
Each Floortime session is built upon a child’s current developmental capacity, which includes:
- Regulation and attention – Attaining a calm, alert, attentive state for learning
- Social Engagement – Getting involved and connected with others
- Reciprocal Social Interaction – Initiating and responding purposefully
- Shared problem solving – Using gestures and words to solve problems
- Symbolic Play – Creating and using ideas interactively and spontaneously
- Emotional and logical thinking – Understanding feelings and connecting ideas in logical ways
* Parent and/or caregiver are encouraged to join in each Floortime session.