Behaviour management is about guiding your child toward the appropriate ways to behave. Choosing a reliable behaviour management option has short-and long-term benefits, including increased compliance yet independence of your child, building a more positive family (or parent-child) relationship, and you feeling less stressed as a parent.
Our behaviour management package offers parents a series of consultation sessions with our psychologists to develop a tailor-made action plan with practical strategies. Goal setting is collaborative and training is hands-on and may include any family member involved in your child’s care.
The topics discussed during consultations are individualised. Commonly encountered concerns include:
- Challenging behaviours such as non-compliance, aggression (kicking, biting, hitting) and/or anger management (e.g. frequent or excessive temper tantrums)
- Stress reactions (e.g. due to moving house, a new baby, divorce, bereavement; illness, hospitalisation, etc.)
- Toileting, feeding or sleeping challenges (e.g. ‘picky eater’, refusing to use the toilet, difficulty falling or staying asleep)
- High anxiety or excessive shyness
- Querying if your child’s behaviour is related to any social, learning or intellectual disabilities, autism, etc.
- If further developmental or other assessment seems warranted.
What is the process?
- 1st Consultation: Our psychologist meets with you to learn about your child, family and concerns or challenges and to set some target goals and strategies. You may decide after this first session, how many (if any) further sessions are required.
- Observation: We observe your child and gather information to better understand their needs. This may not necessarily be scheduled on the first appointment.
- Support Plan: We continue to modify the support plan collaboratively with you to reach your goals. You will also receive information that helps your better understand your child’s behavioural and/or developmental issues.
- Implementation and Review: We work with you to implement and review the strategies so you are well equipped for future challenges.