Getting ‘ahead’ with Special Educational Needs (SEN) School Applications (English speaking)
- 12 June 2017
- Posted by: CDC
- Category: Navigating SEN in HK,
Hong Kong is a competitive, fast-paced city which consistently demonstrates the “more demand than supply” idea. Unfortunately, this also applies for the race to SEN schools – where there is an increasing demand for SEN services for children of all ages and abilities, but only a handful of options.
When starting the search for schools for your child, consider the following:
- Can my child follow school routines and changes in routine?
- How does my child interact with his/her peers?
- How is my child’s language and communication?
- How much additional support does my child need?
- How are my child’s self-help skills?
There is only one English-speaking special school in Hong Kong whilst there are also other schools and programmes that support children with SEN: These programmes support children with moderate to high needs. Often these programmes will offer a higher student: teacher ratio and more individualised learning. Please note, the CDC is not affiliated with any of these schools but can offer support and guidance in the application process (which can be stressful, at times!):
- Jockey Club Sarah Roe School, English Schools Foundation (ESF), Kowloon
- Aoi Pui School, Kowloon
- Family Partners School, Hong Kong Island
- The Children’s Institute of Hong Kong (TCI), Hong Kong Island
- Bridge Academy, Hong Kong Island
Of course, there are also mainstream schools that are accept children who have mild to moderate needs. These schools will have the usual mainstream teacher: student ratio. Additional support may be provided in the form of and pull out/push in the classroom; one-to-one shadow teachers or smaller learning support classrooms. It should be noted that in many of these schools there are charges on top of the usual school fees to provide the extra support necessary.
Some of these schools are listed below. For more details, go to their websites. A visit is essential in order for you to find the right fit.
- ESF Learning Support Classes in all ESF Primary Schools throughout Hong Kong
- The Harbour School, Hong Kong Island
- The Springboard Project at the Korean International School (international stream), Hong Kong Island
- International Montessori School, Hong Kong Island
- Woodland Pre-Schools, Hong Kong Island
- International Christian Academy, Hong Kong Island
- Nord Anglia International School, Kowloon
- Anfield School ( St Bosco’s Centre), New Territories
- International Christian School, (Bridges) New Territories
- International College Hong Kong (ICHK-HLY) , New Territories
- Hong Kong Academy, New Territories
- Hong Kong International Learning Academy (HKILA), Discovery Bay
If you have further questions or require further guidance regarding English-speaking SEN schools and services then do not hesitate to contact us at the CDC. Good luck in finding the school that fits your child.