- This event has passed.
HKSHS Pre-Symposium Seminar – Innovations in Theory of Mind Assessment & Intervention for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
20 October 2016 @ 9:00 am - 21 October 2016 @ 5:00 pm HKTHKD3600
This workshop will describe innovative methods for assessing Theory of Mind in children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) using both parent report and broad based theory of mind measures. Case examples will be used to identify areas of challenge in theory of mind, develop goals and recommend strategies for intervention. The use of social stories, comic strip conversations, and video modeling (including video self-modeling) will be explained as strategies to facilitate theory of mind and perspective taking in children with ASD. Videotaped examples of theory of mind assessment and intervention will be presented.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify valid and reliable methods for assessing theory of mind in children with ASD.
- Develop goals for intervention based on data gathered from assessment of theory of mind.
- Explain at least two interventions that can facilitate perspective taking in children with ASD.
20 October 2016 (Thursday):
- Theory of mind (ToM)
- Assessment of ToM using child performance and parent informant measures
- Strategies for linking assessment to intervention & incorporating ToM strategies reported in the literature
- Strategies for increasing perspective taking: Role of social stories.
21 October 2016 (Friday):
- Strategies for increasing perspective taking: Role of comic strip conversations
- Case study: Creating Comic Strip Conversations
- Strategies for increasing perspective taking: Video modeling & video self-modeling
- Case Study: Video modeling and video self-modeling
Early Bird Price: $2,400 for professionals/part-time students; $1,200 for full-time students
Early Bird Deadline: 22 July 2016